News Article

I’ve just been made redundant, but I suffered a personal injury at work 2 years ago – can I still make a claim?

accident at work

The short answer to this is yes, with the slight word of caution of, in almost all cases. 

Assuming your accident happened within the UK, then the general rule is that you have three years from the date of the accident to make your claim. For example, if you caught your hand in a machine at work on 2nd April 2019, you would have until 2nd April 2022 to put in a claim.

So long as you haven’t already settled your claim in some way with your employer or through insurance, then it doesn’t affect your right to make a claim, whether you have since left that employment, moved out of the area, or anything else for that matter.

As can be the case with anything legal, there are always unusual circumstances where timescales can be less or more depending on how, when, or where your claim happened and for that reason, it is always best to seek advice as soon as you feel that you want to make a claim. It is also true that by delaying making your claim you might make your solicitor’s life a bit more difficult in helping you to win your case as, for example, CCTV evidence might have been erased or witnesses’ details lost.

It is, however, always worth making a call to us for advice as you might be surprised what evidence can be brought to light, even years after an accident has taken place. Especially in workplace claims where your employer may have been under a duty to report the accident to the health and safety persons/authorities, and where there may be A&E notes, we can apply for them to assist your claim.

Another thing to perhaps consider is that your employer has, by law, to have insurance to pay out claims when there has been an accident to an employee. If that accident happened years ago it is the insurer who insured your employer at that time who has to pay your compensation and very often that is not the same insurer that covers the employer currently. The practical upshot of that is that sometimes if you don’t make a claim, the only people that benefit are the insurance company.

At Stonehewer Moss, we can usually offer a ‘No Win, No Fee’ service for accidents at work and we are happy to provide you with a free initial case review to be able to advise you on your rights no matter when your accident happened, in which case, please get in touch.

Watch our videos

For more information about how we can help you with your claim, call us on 01606 87 22 00, or email us at

The Personal Injury Team

Our team are dedicated to achiving the best possible outcome for our clients. Read more here

Dominic Moss

Senior Partner

Dominic Moss Personal Injury Solicitor 87 22 00

Sarah Allison

Partner 87 22 00

Thomas Owen


Tom Owen Personal Injury Lawyer 87 22 00

Julie Capper

Office Administrator 87 22 00

What our clients say about us

Rate Stonehewermoss Solicitors

Stonehewer Moss Solicitors, Citadel House, Solvay Road, Northwich, Cheshire, CW8 4DP

Solicitors in Northwich covering Chester, Crewe, Knutsford, Macclesfield, Middlewich, Northwich, Runcorn, Sandbach, Warrington, Winsford, and across Cheshire.

Stonehewer Moss Solicitors is a trading style of the Stonehewer Moss Limited, Registered in England No. 542 6583 and PIPLaw
which is a firm of solicitors authorised and regulated by the the Solicitors Regulation Authority No. 471159

Contact Us

Contact Us

To get in touch simply fill out the short form below and we will reply very shortly, and definitely within 24 hours. The online enquiry form is completely safe and secure, and your details will not be available to anyone other than Stonehewer Moss Solicitors.

Contact Form

Get in touch today!

Complete the form below and we'll get back to you as soon as possible to help you with your enquiry. Your personal details are never shared or sold.

Alternatively, call us on 01606 87 22 00, or email us at

This website uses Cookies to improve your browsing experience and to help with our marketing. You can read more about removing Cookies here.

I'm fine with this