News Article

Is funding available for a divorce or legal dispute with my ex

Is funding available for a divorce or legal dispute with my ex if I cannot afford  a lawyer and nobody in my family will help me must be a dilemma faced by lots of people according to Cheshire family solicitors Stonehewer Moss who set out below as a blog their own options within terms and conditions that are intended to offer alternative options once a case looks like it needs a court outcome. Most people can pay for initial work either from savings or card payments but court can get too expensive without a line of credit. These are available sources of funding. Stonehewer Moss do not give financial advice and encourage any client to explore alternatives before using interest attracting loans to fund a case. Is funding available for a divorce or legal dispute with my ex can be dealt with as follows:-




Solicitors do not fund your case for you but we can assist you to obtain funding from the providers described below. You are in no way restricted to using these firms and may wish to seek other funding outlets such as your bank, credit card or family and friends lending or gifting the money needed to you. If lending from any source you may benefit from seeking advice from an independent solicitor about the terms of the arrangement or from organisations funded by the Government such as the CAB or Money Advice Service. We assume you have considered taking such advice whichever method of funding your case you choose.  The two sources of funding we can  assist with are set out below and each currently charge 1.5% interest, the specific effect of which we refer you to their respective websites to consider before entering into the arrangement:-


  1. Novitas


This company carries out credit worthiness checks before agreeing to loan money to pay your legal bills and seek payment upon secured assets or agreed guarantees from a third person. They charge £500 upon top of the loaned sum to administer the loan and require you to seek independent legal advice at your cost before agreeing to their offer. Novitas do not require the monthly payment described below for Iceberg. Is funding available for a divorce or legal dispute with my ex if I have no security? See below.


  1. Iceberg


This company does not require an administrative charge but they charge a small sum each time we draw down payment, usually £10. They do not require security but if we offer to use this company we reserve the right to agree security terms directly with you, such as a charge over your interest in the house or charge on the property of an agreed third party. Although they will fund barristers fees and  fees such as the court fee or experts costs, we reserve the right to require you to pay this element of the cost of your case. You pay at least 1.5 % of the drawn down sum each month directly to Iceberg . Please note that we will hold a lien over your files meaning we do not send them to you or another legal representative until we are satisfied you  have agreed  payment arrangements with Iceberg. Please note that in our discretion  our charge rates may be  up lifted by up to an extra 20% if you choose to be  funded by Iceberg credit.Please   note that our first letter to you upon becoming funded by  either of the companies    above may include specific conditions that should be read as incorporated within our terms and conditions of work for you. Fixed fees may not be offered for funded cases and you may be better agreeing a fixed fee you can afford without speculating on outcomes that cannot be identified to give security to a funder or your solicitor.  

Funding could cover a financial case in divorce or  a dispute about trusts if unmarried. Make sure you have a costs estimate before opening lines of credit with your solicitor. Is funding available for a divorce or legal dispute with my ex or should I  cut my cloth according to my own ability to pay? Sometimes neither needs to be your way forward; the court can make legal services orders against a financially stronger spouse to pay for the dispute without proof of wrongdoing by the person ordered to pay. Is funding available for a divorce or legal dispute with my ex; perhaps the question needs to rephrased and should be does my ex have financial strength the court would want to distribute more fairly? Most of us just want what is fair.

For advice negotiation and representation in divorce please call 01606 872200 email visit

Tags: ,

Watch our videos

For more information about how we can help you with your claim, call us on 01606 87 22 00, or email us at

The Personal Injury Team

Our team are dedicated to achiving the best possible outcome for our clients. Read more here

Dominic Moss

Senior Partner

Dominic Moss Personal Injury Solicitor 87 22 00

Sarah Allison

Partner 87 22 00

Thomas Owen


Tom Owen Personal Injury Lawyer 87 22 00

Julie Capper

Office Administrator 87 22 00

What our clients say about us

Rate Stonehewermoss Solicitors

Stonehewer Moss Solicitors, Citadel House, Solvay Road, Northwich, Cheshire, CW8 4DP

Solicitors in Northwich covering Chester, Crewe, Knutsford, Macclesfield, Middlewich, Northwich, Runcorn, Sandbach, Warrington, Winsford, and across Cheshire.

Stonehewer Moss Solicitors is a trading style of the Stonehewer Moss Limited, Registered in England No. 542 6583 and PIPLaw
which is a firm of solicitors authorised and regulated by the the Solicitors Regulation Authority No. 471159

Contact Us

Contact Us

To get in touch simply fill out the short form below and we will reply very shortly, and definitely within 24 hours. The online enquiry form is completely safe and secure, and your details will not be available to anyone other than Stonehewer Moss Solicitors.

Contact Form

Get in touch today!

Complete the form below and we'll get back to you as soon as possible to help you with your enquiry. Your personal details are never shared or sold.

Alternatively, call us on 01606 87 22 00, or email us at

This website uses Cookies to improve your browsing experience and to help with our marketing. You can read more about removing Cookies here.

I'm fine with this