News Article

What Is a CRU Certificate?

Compensation Recovery Unit Certificate

A CRU Certificate or Compensation Recovery Unit Certificate is issued by the DWP to tell your solicitor and the insurance company how much, if any, state benefit you need to pay back to the government from your injury compensation claim.

In this video Dominic Moss, senior partner here at Stonehewer Moss solicitors, explains more.

What Is a CRU Certificate?

A CRU or Compensation Recovery Unit certificate is a certificate which tells the solicitors and the insurance company that are potentially going to pay out for your claim; they are known as the compensator; it tells them what they have to pay back to the government.

You might think ‘well why am I paying anything back to the government?’ Well the reason for that is because some people when they have an accident make a claim. It might be industrial injury benefit or some other form of benefit that is related to the fact that they have made a claim. Very often the certificate is nil. If it is nil you can forget about it. That means you don’t have to pay anything back.

If it is not nil you need to look at it. You need to decide whether or not the government are claiming back money that related to the accident. So for example if you are claiming a benefit anyway or not because of the accident you would not want that to be coming out of your damages. Your accident claim, at the end of the day, is actually compensation that you have got for another reason.

So it can be quite complicated. If you have got one of these certificates sent to you and you are not sure what it is please don’t hesitate to give me a call. There is other information on our website or on our YouTube channel.

Tags: , , ,

Watch our videos

For more information about how we can help you with your claim, call us on 01606 87 22 00, or email us at

The Personal Injury Team

Our team are dedicated to achiving the best possible outcome for our clients. Read more here

Dominic Moss

Senior Partner

Dominic Moss Personal Injury Solicitor 87 22 00

Sarah Allison

Partner 87 22 00

Thomas Owen


Tom Owen Personal Injury Lawyer 87 22 00

Julie Capper

Office Administrator 87 22 00

What our clients say about us

Rate Stonehewermoss Solicitors

Stonehewer Moss Solicitors, Citadel House, Solvay Road, Northwich, Cheshire, CW8 4DP

Solicitors in Northwich covering Chester, Crewe, Knutsford, Macclesfield, Middlewich, Northwich, Runcorn, Sandbach, Warrington, Winsford, and across Cheshire.

Stonehewer Moss Solicitors is a trading style of the Stonehewer Moss Limited, Registered in England No. 542 6583 and PIPLaw
which is a firm of solicitors authorised and regulated by the the Solicitors Regulation Authority No. 471159

Contact Us

Contact Us

To get in touch simply fill out the short form below and we will reply very shortly, and definitely within 24 hours. The online enquiry form is completely safe and secure, and your details will not be available to anyone other than Stonehewer Moss Solicitors.

Contact Form

Get in touch today!

Complete the form below and we'll get back to you as soon as possible to help you with your enquiry. Your personal details are never shared or sold.

Alternatively, call us on 01606 87 22 00, or email us at

This website uses Cookies to improve your browsing experience and to help with our marketing. You can read more about removing Cookies here.

I'm fine with this