News Article

What to do if just separated from your partner

What to do if just separated from your partner  is a difficult and multi faceted problem often hitting a person out of the blue and consequently finding it hard to come to terms emotionally with the loss of a secure relationship, as divorce specialist family law solicitors will advise you. An experienced divorce lawyer is a must; do not be manipulated while vulnerable. At Stonehewer Moss solicitors the accredited specialist solicitor has 25 years experience, has been a member of the family solicitors group Resolution and collaborative lawyer for 10 years and will assess your legal position in the context of your personal needs and reasonable expectations for your family.    Michael Brennan continues, “Having to see a lawyer when all you really want is to bury your head in the ground can be a hard step. Often it is a parent or close friend who needs to guide a separating person in the right directions, as it is all too tempting to go off the rails. I have had my share of life experience and hope you will find my approach reasoned and responsible. Your family is changing and seeing a solicitor is vital as the law underlies much of what you now must address, but an experienced family solicitor knows there is a lot more to it that the four walls of his office and can suggest other services that might help you along the way to finding a settled future in that changed family set up.”

Michael suggests an early chat with your GP is a good idea as it may be too late before you realise your behaviour is being altered by the stress of the separation. Counselling services can be accessed and other services if needed, such as anger management. Anger is acknowledged as part of the grieving process of divorce but that will not help you if you do something out of character that will reflect in your legal rights and possibly your liberty.

Finances and the children, together with a roof over your head are often the immediate issues to address. Visit the CAFCASS website for guidance for you and your children. Housing advice can be obtained through the CAB but the position of a legal owner to occupy the house may need a little time with a solicitor. The future ownership and distribution of value in the house and other assets certainly  needs the attention of a divorce specialist and a search on the Resolution or Law Society website for accredited specialists in your area is best. For immediate guidance on benefits you may be entitled to, Michael recommends you visit

The cost of legal advice really needs to factor in the cost of not taking it but a solicitor like Michael will usually be happy to have a no obligation chat before taking formal instructions.

For advice negotiation or representation in the family court call 01606872 200 or e mail visit

No obligation first meeting by arrangement sat nav post code CW8 4DP

Tags: ,

Watch our videos

For more information about how we can help you with your claim, call us on 01606 87 22 00, or email us at

The Personal Injury Team

Our team are dedicated to achiving the best possible outcome for our clients. Read more here

Dominic Moss

Senior Partner

Dominic Moss Personal Injury Solicitor 87 22 00

Sarah Allison

Partner 87 22 00

Thomas Owen


Tom Owen Personal Injury Lawyer 87 22 00

Julie Capper

Office Administrator 87 22 00

What our clients say about us

Rate Stonehewermoss Solicitors

Stonehewer Moss Solicitors, Citadel House, Solvay Road, Northwich, Cheshire, CW8 4DP

Solicitors in Northwich covering Chester, Crewe, Knutsford, Macclesfield, Middlewich, Northwich, Runcorn, Sandbach, Warrington, Winsford, and across Cheshire.

Stonehewer Moss Solicitors is a trading style of the Stonehewer Moss Limited, Registered in England No. 542 6583 and PIPLaw
which is a firm of solicitors authorised and regulated by the the Solicitors Regulation Authority No. 471159

Contact Us

Contact Us

To get in touch simply fill out the short form below and we will reply very shortly, and definitely within 24 hours. The online enquiry form is completely safe and secure, and your details will not be available to anyone other than Stonehewer Moss Solicitors.

Contact Form

Get in touch today!

Complete the form below and we'll get back to you as soon as possible to help you with your enquiry. Your personal details are never shared or sold.

Alternatively, call us on 01606 87 22 00, or email us at

This website uses Cookies to improve your browsing experience and to help with our marketing. You can read more about removing Cookies here.

I'm fine with this