News Article

How can I deal with legal stuff with my ex partner

How can I deal with legal stuff with my ex partner has difficulties you might not have considered before you separated according to Cheshire family law solicitors Stonehewer Moss. Partners, the person you lived with but did not marry, are called cohabitants by lawyers. Liking to neatly package legal concepts and remedies, lawyers now market services for cohabitation but the truth is that, in life, you do not call your partner your fellow cohabitee and in the courts there is no such thing as cohabitation law. Dealing with the legal stuff when you separate may call for bespoke services because the way you and your partner arranged your lives is a bit different to other people. The first problem on separation might be that your unique way of living was never documented and you now hate each other, refusing to unravel the cats cradle of your legal relations. This blog suggests some methods to address the problem of parting and balances that with the reality of cost.

Communication, communication, talking to each other. You chatted each other up; unless there is a personal safety issue, you had better grow up and find a way to negotiate your legal responsibilities after you have split up. That might be just grasping the nettle and meeting each other or using a trusted third party; take care about involving well meaning parents. They may be perceived as a major cause of the break up by your ex and without being conscious of it, may be edging you towards a dependency you could do without. Time might be needed. If there are bills to be paid and failure to help out by your ex, keep a record of the payments you make you think he or she ought to have paid. Take legal advice early because the reality might be that your ex has no legal obligation to pay. If you see a solicitor, enquire about out of court mediation or other means of negotiation. Keep in touch with suppliers of domestic services and come to arrangements if there is a risk of arrears. A significant part of a solicitors job when advice is sought in this area is to hand back responsibility to you ; you just need to realise what your responsibilities are now and the lawyer is there to advise you, not to wave a wand or give comfort about your dilemma. There are counselling services if struggling with your emotions, which is only natural. Having a solicitor to bring that clarity to your situation is useful of itself. How can I deal with legal stuff with my ex partner; use the right person for the job in hand.

If you or your ex owned a house there are two issues to consider: 1. Does your ex also have an interest in the house; 2. Who can live in the house in the future.Issue 1 may be straightforward or very complicated. This blog cannot answer all the possibilities so the safest advice to give is the pragmatic one, cost. If your name is not on the title, how much will you or those who want to help with your legal bills risk to prove what you think you have in the house? A free first meeting will not answer the legal question but you should find out a ball park figure of the legal costs risk to try to make a case. Being brutal, if there is under £20,000 equity in the house and you are not on the title, it may make no sense to argue in court. Living with someone never gives you the safety net a divorcing person has of being able to ask the court for a fair distribution of assets without first proving a legal concept applies such as a trust or proprietary estoppel. It is slightly different if you were engaged and act within 3 years of the break up. Who can live in the house is covered by a statute called the Family Law Act 1996. Non owning cohabitants can seek occupation orders for a limited term to allow them to live in the house but they are a last resort and could cost £5000.How can I deal with legal stuff with my ex partner. With care if you own a house eg what happens on death of one of you? Remember, until you have dealt with the title the payments you make may count for little.

Damage limitation is a good idea, particularly if there are children. The court can make financial orders for children but short of this, a parent must see there is much to be gained and cost to be saved in negotiating a separation agreement. One day is going to happen  that your children inherit so being an adult about it with your ex is one approach. Sometimes your strict legal rights are not all you need to know. How can I deal with legal stuff with my ex partner? Well or badly. Inflicting pain due to upset might be a short term approach that hurts more later on.

How can I deal with legal stuff with my ex partner. It is about defining the problem. Stonehewer Moss tel 01606872200 e mail


Facebook Posts

Unable to display Facebook posts.
Show error

Error: Error validating access token: Session has expired on Saturday, 09-Mar-19 13:12:58 PST. The current time is Tuesday, 22-Oct-19 23:23:57 PDT.
Type: OAuthException
Code: 190
Subcode: 463
Please refer to our Error Message Reference.

Get In Touch

Contact our expert team of friendly Northwich lawyers

FREE advice

Refer A Friend

Know someone who is looking for a good injury lawyer? Get more than just a thank you for recommending us to your family or friends.

See Details

Latest News

Keep up to date with all the latest news and events from our friendly team.

Read More

Rate Stonehewermoss Solicitors

Stonehewer Moss Solicitors, Citadel House, Solvay Road, Northwich, Cheshire, CW8 4DP

Solicitors in Northwich covering Chester, Crewe, Knutsford, Macclesfield, Middlewich, Northwich, Runcorn, Sandbach, Warrington, Winsford, and across Cheshire.

Stonehewer Moss Solicitors is a trading style of the Stonehewer Moss Limited, Registered in England No. 542 6583 and PIPLaw
which is a firm of solicitors authorised and regulated by the the Solicitors Regulation Authority No. 471159

Contact Us

Contact Us

To get in touch simply fill out the short form below and we will reply very shortly, and definitely within 24 hours. The online enquiry form is completely safe and secure, and your details will not be available to anyone other than Stonehewer Moss Solicitors.

Contact Form

This website uses Cookies to improve your browsing experience and to help with our marketing. You can read more about removing Cookies here.

I'm fine with this