Court of Protection

At Stonehewer Moss, Northwich Solicitors, we understand that having to make decisions for someone else, or have someone make decisions for you, can be a very difficult situation.

If someone you care about is having difficulties in making decisions about their finance and property or their personal welfare you need to try and establish if they have made an Enduring or Lasting Power of Attorney. If so, the attorneys will need to step in and act. Please see the section on Lasting Powers of Attorney for more details.

If there are no such attorneys and you want to be able make these decisions it may be necessary to apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed as a Deputy for that person in order to assist with managing their affairs.

What does the Court of Protection deal with?

An order from the Court will usually be necessary for matters relating to the property and affairs of people who lack capacity to make specific financial decisions for themselves. The Court can also give powers relating to personal welfare, such as giving or withholding consent to medical treatment and/or social care interventions.

Powers given will depend on the needs of the person you have been appointed to assist and also the Court’s view of the circumstances. You must only make those decisions you are authorised to make by the order of the Court and you must make decisions in the person’s best interests.

We can help

If you need to apply to the Court of Protection we can help. We’ll make sure the whole process is as easy and stress-free as possible for you, and provide you with the best advice every step of the way. Contact one of our Wills and Probate Specialists at our Northwich solicitors office.

Contact Form

Facebook Posts

Are you having issues with your housing? You don't have to stay silent if you want to claim against your Landlord who doesn't seem to care. Watch our full video below on dealing with Housing Issues. ... See MoreSee Less

View on Facebook

We are in receipt of a cheque for a Premium Bonds win for a Mrs H Cousins formerly of London Road Northwich She has moved from the address. Does anyone know where she might be now ? ... See MoreSee Less

View on Facebook

Get In Touch

Contact our expert team of friendly Northwich lawyers

FREE advice

Refer A Friend

Know someone who is looking for a good injury lawyer? Get more than just a thank you for recommending us to your family or friends.

See Details

Latest News

Keep up to date with all the latest news and events from our friendly team.

Read More

Rate Stonehewermoss Solicitors

Stonehewer Moss Family Solicitors, Citadel House, Solvay Road, Northwich, Cheshire, CW8 4DP

Family and Corporate Solicitors Northwich covering Chester, Crewe, Knutsford, Macclesfield, Middlewich, Northwich, Runcorn, Sandbach, Warrington, Winsford, and across Cheshire.

Stonehewer Moss Solicitors is a trading style of the Stonehewer Moss Limited, Registered in England No. 542 6583
which is a firm of solicitors authorised and regulated by the the Solicitors Regulation Authority No. 471159