The law for employers has not changed despite the coronavirus pandemic. An employee may be entitled to compensation if they contract COVID-19 because their employer has not done enough to ensure that their workplace is ‘COVID-secure’.
Employers have a legal duty to their employees to take reasonable care for their health and safety and they must take reasonable steps to do this. In particular, employers must take steps to secure a safe system of work, safe premises, safe equipment, and competent staff.
If you believe you have contracted COVID-19 due to ineffective health and safety measures implemented at your place of work, you may be able to bring a claim against your employer and secure compensation.
COVID-19 at work pre-assessment questionnaire
In order for us to assess whether or not you have a COVID-19 at work claim, we would ask all potential applicants to answer the following questions and send us your answers by email in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This will enable us to determine whether or not you have a case to bring a claim against your employer before arranging a free initial consultation.
- What was the date when you first felt unwell?
- What was the date of your COVID-19 test?
- What information did you provide to NHS Test and Trace? e.g. where had you been in the 10 days prior to feeling unwell.
- Who do you live with and where had they been prior to you feeling unwell? e.g. wife and children, school, local supermarkets etc
- Did the people you live with test positive for coronavirus (COVID-19)?
- If yes, did they feel unwell before or after you?
- If after you, how long afterwards?
- Did anyone else at your place of work become unwell or test positive for COVID-19?
- If yes, did they become unwell before or after you?
- If before, how long before you? If after, how long after?
- Did you have contact with any persons at your place of work who became unwell before or after you?
- Did you have contact with any persons not at work who was unwell before or after you?
- Did your workplace have procedures in place to reduce the risk of employers contracting COVID-19 whilst at work?
- What failings do you think there were in the health and safety procedures your employers put in place to prevent you from contracting COVID-19 in the workplace?
- What more do you think your employers could have done?
- Please provide details of your initial illness and your symptoms at this time. Are you still receiving treatment?
- Please provide your name, email address and a contact telephone number so that we can contact you to let you know whether or not you have a potential claim and to arrange a free consultation by phone or video call.
Simply copy and paste these questions into an email, write your answers alongside each question and email to us at email@example.com and we’ll be in touch.