News Article

Court fee for divorce increased. What are the alternatives.

Court fee for divorce increased. What are the alternatives. The 2016 budget was quietly followed by a sharp increase in the issue fee for a divorce from £415 to £550 as of 21.3.16. Northwich solicitors Stonehewer Moss can help you consider alternatives to the divorce process, some of which may cause you to question whether to proceed with the expense of the court fee. For some time the courts have been directed by their political “masters” to make the service self supporting and it does not take the intellect of a Chancellor of the Exchequer to realise that the law of diminishing returns will necessitate ever increasing court fees. Demographics and government statistics suggest divorce rates are declining while co-habitation increases; can the law applying to the latter group assist those separated when married?

Michael Brennan, an accredited specialist in family law including complex financial issues in divorce, believes the cost of the divorce fee might be better spent elsewhere. “I am not advocating taking a holiday instead, though it is a stressful time and may be a good idea for many people. When you are considering divorce timing is essential. Solicitors are trained that a separation feels like a bereavement and you will experience the well known stages of grief. In that early angry stage you may feel a burning need to divorce but perhaps a period of calm may be better. Divorce legally allows you to re-marry but the other consequences about money can be agreed and a professionally drawn deed of separation can include terms about future divorce, by which time the grieving process may make everything more natural. The deed of separation could  be seen as the line in the sand many feel the need to acknowledge through divorce itself. The cost advantage is that the court fee is not spent. Time also gives you the chance to reflect long and hard before entering a second or subsequent marriage, which might be wisest undertaken with a prenup or instead by a living together agreement.”

Michael is a member of Cheshire Collaborative Family Law Group and can discuss this civilised approach to parting at a no obligation assessment of your family situation and analysis of how the law can help.

To discuss prenups, living together agreements or deeds of separation telephone 01606872200 e mail or visit


Facebook Posts

This message is only visible to admins.

Problem displaying Facebook posts.
Click to show error

Error: Error validating access token: Session has expired on Saturday, 09-Mar-19 13:12:58 PST. The current time is Monday, 20-Jan-20 21:04:49 PST.
Type: OAuthException
Subcode: 463
Solution: See here for how to solve this error

Get In Touch

Contact our expert team of friendly Northwich lawyers

FREE advice

Refer A Friend

Know someone who is looking for a good injury lawyer? Get more than just a thank you for recommending us to your family or friends.

See Details

Latest News

Keep up to date with all the latest news and events from our friendly team.

Read More

Rate Stonehewermoss Solicitors

Stonehewer Moss Solicitors, Citadel House, Solvay Road, Northwich, Cheshire, CW8 4DP

Solicitors in Northwich covering Chester, Crewe, Knutsford, Macclesfield, Middlewich, Northwich, Runcorn, Sandbach, Warrington, Winsford, and across Cheshire.

Stonehewer Moss Solicitors is a trading style of the Stonehewer Moss Limited, Registered in England No. 542 6583 and PIPLaw
which is a firm of solicitors authorised and regulated by the the Solicitors Regulation Authority No. 471159

Contact Us

Contact Us

To get in touch simply fill out the short form below and we will reply very shortly, and definitely within 24 hours. The online enquiry form is completely safe and secure, and your details will not be available to anyone other than Stonehewer Moss Solicitors.

Contact Form

This website uses Cookies to improve your browsing experience and to help with our marketing. You can read more about removing Cookies here.

I'm fine with this