News Article

Control of your temper to progress to seeing your child

Domestic Violence Compensation

Taking control of your temper to progress to seeing your child. Many children fail to have the good relationship they deserve with a parent because at or leading up to separation that parent has let him or herself down with a bad temper. There is a way to address this issue that offers hope of getting that relationship your child needs.


The law wants children to have a good relationship with both parents, with a presumption to this effect being enshrined in the Children Act 1989 over the past year. Unfortunately, the law cannot support families at all times and the presumption of a good relationship can be overcome if at the time the Court considers making a child arrangements order past conduct by a parent suggest the childs` welfare will be at risk if allowed contact.


Since the financial crash in 2008 many changes in the ability of the Courts to examine these issues have taken place. Michael Brennan, an accredited family law specialist at Northwich firm Stonehewer Moss, found that services available to address the issue of domestic violence have become difficult to identify on many occasions. Seeking advice from a specialist solicitor can be the difference to getting your child back in touch after a period of broken contact. Many solicitors now offer fixed fee packages to meet most budgets.


Having acknowledged the importance of a child keeping a good relationship with his or her parent, it is essential that parents take responsibility for developing techniques to control a bad temper. Going through separation must kick in all our basic fight or flight instincts. Mild mannered individuals can turn nasty when life becomes stressful; we are best accepting it and addressing the cause. There are family therapists expertly trained to help, some of which may be accessed through your GP. The Court would much rather a parent who recognises the problem and deals with it to one with a patent problem ( experienced family lawyers and judges can tell) who denies past fault.


Michael says, “In addition to seeing your GP to refer to counselling, a parent faced with the stress of separation from a child because of anger management issues in the Northwich and Cheshire area may be able to attend an anger management programme at St Josephs family centre in Museum Street, Warrington. Your GP needs to make the referral. Once completed, your chances of re-starting a good relationship with your child should increase.”

To find out about St Josephs google search them. The following extract from their site identifies the anger management service:-

Anger Management Courses run for five weekly sessions and each session lasts for two hours. There is a re-connector meeting after a further four weeks, providing a chance to report on progress or discuss any queries participants may have. 

We do require a referral from your GP for the Anger Management programme. If you wish to take part in the programme, please contact your local surgery in order that your doctor may refer you.


A parent looking after a distressed child because an absent parent is considered a risk and cannot see the child may want to encourage the other parent to address their problem in order to benefit their child. Family solicitors can help the parent with care by writing to make those encouraging signals and help to ensure your child has a chance of a good relationship with both parents.


For more details about child arrangements after separation or any other family law problem contact Stonehewer Moss by telephone on 01606 872200 or e mail visit


Watch our videos

For more information about how we can help you with your claim, call us on 01606 87 22 00, or email us at

The Personal Injury Team

Our team are dedicated to achiving the best possible outcome for our clients. Read more here

Dominic Moss

Senior Partner

Dominic Moss Personal Injury Solicitor 87 22 00

Sarah Allison

Partner 87 22 00

Thomas Owen


Tom Owen Personal Injury Lawyer 87 22 00

Julie Capper

Office Administrator 87 22 00

What our clients say about us

Rate Stonehewermoss Solicitors

Stonehewer Moss Solicitors, Citadel House, Solvay Road, Northwich, Cheshire, CW8 4DP

Solicitors in Northwich covering Chester, Crewe, Knutsford, Macclesfield, Middlewich, Northwich, Runcorn, Sandbach, Warrington, Winsford, and across Cheshire.

Stonehewer Moss Solicitors is a trading style of the Stonehewer Moss Limited, Registered in England No. 542 6583 and PIPLaw
which is a firm of solicitors authorised and regulated by the the Solicitors Regulation Authority No. 471159

Contact Us

Contact Us

To get in touch simply fill out the short form below and we will reply very shortly, and definitely within 24 hours. The online enquiry form is completely safe and secure, and your details will not be available to anyone other than Stonehewer Moss Solicitors.

Contact Form

Get in touch today!

Complete the form below and we'll get back to you as soon as possible to help you with your enquiry. Your personal details are never shared or sold.

Alternatively, call us on 01606 87 22 00, or email us at

This website uses Cookies to improve your browsing experience and to help with our marketing. You can read more about removing Cookies here.

I'm fine with this