News Article

Broken engagements and property

Broken engagements and property rights are easily overlooked if you have lived with someone, got engaged, but did not have your name on the deeds and the engagement has come to an end according to Cheshire family solicitors Stonehewer Moss. It is understandable that you might assume you have no case about the house that perhaps your ex talked you into just being in his or her name. Trust law disputes can be expensive and in the absence of a lot of reliable evidence, difficult to prove. Sometimes your decision to buy together cannot be adequately revisited if you made unequal contributions because of your decisions when you bought ,upon  the paperwork. However, the couple who engage have a couple of options if money was spent by one of them who did not have his or her name on the title. You may have acquired an interest in the house by virtue of your expenditure and have a statutory right to sue to recover the value of your interest that may not involve complex trust law disputes. Both the Matrimonial Proceedings and Property Act 1970 and the Law Reform (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1970 are potentially available to you and a bit of advice is worth taking with a view to negotiating a settlement or seeking court redress. Arbitration or mediation are available.Sometimes a letter explaining your entitlement may trigger sensible advice on both sides. If a trust issue is suggested by your circumstances, that can be explored by negotiation within a budget out of court. Broken engagements and property rights are not always  about costly trust disputes.  

For advice and negotiation of post engagement disputes please call 01606 872200 or e mail


Facebook Posts

Stonehewer Moss Solicitors shared Northwich Memorial Court's photo. ... See MoreSee Less

The fantastic Vienna Festival Ballet are back next March with their wonderful show Swan Lake ✨ Get your tickets for this enchanting show here:

View on Facebook

Get In Touch

Contact our expert team of friendly Northwich lawyers

FREE advice

Refer A Friend

Know someone who is looking for a good injury lawyer? Get more than just a thank you for recommending us to your family or friends.

See Details

Latest News

Keep up to date with all the latest news and events from our friendly team.

Read More

Rate Stonehewermoss Solicitors

Stonehewer Moss Family Solicitors, Citadel House, Solvay Road, Northwich, Cheshire, CW8 4DP

Family and Corporate Solicitors Northwich covering Chester, Crewe, Knutsford, Macclesfield, Middlewich, Northwich, Runcorn, Sandbach, Warrington, Winsford, and across Cheshire.

Stonehewer Moss Solicitors is a trading style of the Stonehewer Moss Limited, Registered in England No. 542 6583
which is a firm of solicitors authorised and regulated by the the Solicitors Regulation Authority No. 471159